We falafell in love with these Hemp Seed Falafels and think you will too! Quick, easy, and cheap to make, what’s not to love?
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 1 cup of Super Seed Hemp Foods hemp seeds
- 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2-4 tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. (Or use canned chickpeas, drained.)
- Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the hemp seeds, parsley, coriander, salt, garlic, and cumin, hemp seeds. Process until blended but not pureed.
- Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough bulgur or flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands.
- Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for a few hours. Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts.
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep pot and fry 1 ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about 6 balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Option to bake in the oven at 190ºC. Grease baking sheet with olive oil, shape falafel into small patties, bake 20-25 minutes until the falafels are golden on both sides.